More and more commercial companies are launching their sites on the Internet, publishing online catalogs, and aiming at the development of e-commerce. And at the same time, the terms “hosting”, “dedicated server”, “VPS” are increasingly being used by business representatives. If you are looking for the optimal solution for your platform, and these words confuse you, we suggest you familiarize yourself with the terminology, learn more about the types of hosting and selection criteria. This article will help you understand the details.
It is worth noting that Hoszealot UK based dedicated server is best suited for developing e-commerce resources. It meets the necessary requirements of power, safety, and performance. To make sure of this, we will tell you more about it in comparison with a virtual private server.
What is a dedicated server?
A dedicated server is physical hardware installed in the provider’s data center. It is designed to ensure the operation of a website or a web resource of one company. And the real equipment is controlled remotely from anywhere in the world by the specialists of the tenant company.
This type of hosting does not suggest sharing of resources (power, performance, and others) with other applications or sites. All the structures and capabilities of a dedicated server are transferred to the full use of one client.
In fact, a dedicated server is a full-fledged analog of an internal server. However, it does not belong to the company but is only transferred to it for temporary use. That is, the company does not spend money on the purchase of equipment. The hardware is serviced by the technical support of the provider.
The user gets access to the server via the Internet and administration functions. The tenant uses the resources provided to him at his discretion, and remotely performs any operations on the server.
Clients rent dedicated servers to host corporate websites and applications, use them for parallel backup, for storing data archives. This is a great option for web resources with high traffic, with databases of personal data of clients, and with confidential information.
Advantages of using a dedicated server
Speaking about the advantages of renting a dedicated server, it is worth mentioning the following factors:
- High performance and sufficient capacity allow you to host a massive project with interactive options and daily high traffic on a dedicated server.
- Since the server is transferred to one tenant for use, its resources do not have to be divided between several users. The client gets full control over the hardware and its capabilities.
- The risk of hacker attacks is reduced. Moreover, the client chooses the optimal programs to improve the security of the server.
- The continuous operation time of the dedicated server is from 99.8 to 99.9%. This means that the site or application will work almost non-stop. Moreover, the provider leaves tenths of a percent “just in case”. Most often, the server does not stop for a minute.
- The tenant installs the operating system themself, selects the control panel, software for the operation of the site or application. This minimizes the likelihood of software errors.
- If the parameters of the dedicated server are selected correctly, taking into account the needs of the site, it will be possible to avoid failures and decelerations during peak loads.
What is the difference between a virtual private and a dedicated server?
And now let’s talk about the advantages of a dedicated server in comparison with a virtual private server.
- Resource allocation. A virtual private server (VPS) is a certain amount of disk space offered to the tenant for use. In simple terms, a powerful and productive physical machine is divided into several separate limited parts. Each of them has its own power, its own operating memory. And each part is offered to a separate company. Despite the distinctions, the influence of the “neighborhood” still affects the work of each of the sites hosted on the server. They usually have a common IP address, which is why they have a common reputation for search robots. Also, if a dedicated server provides for the use of resources with full capacity, the tenants of the virtual private server have to be content with their allocated capacity, memory, and space for storing hardware attributes. Of course, you can ask the provider to increase resources if the opportunities provided will not be enough for the effective and stable operation of the site. However, this is an additional expense and hassle, since, most likely, you will have to switch to another pricing plan.
- Security. Since a dedicated server suggests only one client, it is much easier to track and prevent security breaches. Another thing is a virtual private server. Each of the tenants can become the object of a hacker attack, as a result of which the entire physical machine can go down. It will take time to restore its functionality or transfer sites to a new server.
- Settings and configurations. The dedicated server is handed over to the client for unconditional independent use. The tenant chooses the operating system, the necessary programs, and applications. At the same time, a virtual private server is most often offered with an existing server environment. This somewhat limits the capabilities of the tenant.
You can continue to compare a dedicated server and a VPS. And for each of the parameters, the indicators of the first option will be higher. Including the price. This factor is the main disadvantage of this type of hosting. Renting a dedicated server will not only cost more than renting a virtual private server. But you will also have to hire specialists to service real equipment. VPS is cheaper than renting a physical machine, as it provides fewer resources and limited freedom of management. However, it is serviced by the provider’s technical support (depending on the pricing plan), which allows you to abandon the content of your own specialist department. And they can handle the requirements of a small project perfectly – the resources provided are quite enough.
When is it time to rent a dedicated server?
If your site is hosted on a virtual private server, but there are not enough resources offered by the provider, you should think about switching to a dedicated server. As a rule, this hosting option is chosen by online stores with high traffic, organizations for which the security of confidential information is important, payment and banking portals. Also, a dedicated server is an excellent option for large corporations that host databases on such equipment and open access to them to employees from different branches.