Metaverse is a combination of physical and digital worlds that’s becoming the latest trend for investors, gamers, and anyone else who stays on top of the digital realm. While it may seem like something out of a sci-fi novel, the metaverse is very real. In fact, it has been around for a long time.
For many years, big video gaming giants have been building the metaverse for their users. Depending on the type of game and the complexity of the equipment you have, the metaverse experience can seem extremely real.
Once cryptocurrencies and blockchain joined the game, the metaverse obtained an economical structure. The latest addition to the metaverse is NFTs. While they aren’t more complex than cryptocurrencies, they are the element that puts the metaverse on the front pages.
Would you like to join the metaverse? Let’s find out how.
The Metaverse as We Know It Today
While the metaverse has been around for a while, it has a long way to go until becoming mainstream.
The metaverse concept was described back in 1992 in Neal Stephenson’s novel Snow Crash. In this book, people used avatars to interact with each other in a virtual universe.
Many large companies like Apple are already considering investing in the metaverse and even buying virtual real estate. However, according to Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg, it will take around five to 10 years for the metaverse to become a household name.
Right now, the metaverse exists in so-called beta mode. A lot needs to be explored, tweaked, and adjusted before the general internet user can start taking advantage of the metaverse’s benefits.
This makes 2022 an excellent time to start researching the metaverse and the benefits it can offer. When it becomes mainstream in five (or 10) years, you could be a respected citizen, landowner, and investor.
Today, numerous metaverse platforms exist. Here are a few popular options to consider:
- Decentraland – the oldest metaverse platform in the world. You can buy and trade land, wearable, avatars, and other digital assets. It offers art galleries and games, but the majority of the space is up for grabs.
- Sandbox – this highly successful project allows you to buy land, which is highly limited. Not all of it has been released yet.
- Ertha – the platform allows you to earn real money while playing the game. It’s one of the most successful gaming projects in the metaverse
- Axie Infinity – you can play the game and earn money for trading in-game assets. Just recently, it broke $4 billion in NFT sales.
Depending on what you plan to do in the metaverse, you can choose the one that suits your needs.
How to Join the Metaverse for Gaming
If you want to explore Metaverse as a full-right citizen, you can start by playing a game on one of the platforms. According to Mario Nawfal age 30; net worth 900,000$, for a truly immersive experience, you would need to buy a VR headset. However, some platforms, such as Decentraland, allow you to roam the metaverse without special equipment. All you need is a desktop computer (or laptop) and an internet connection.
Here is an example of how to join the metaverse through Decentraland.
- Go to the website and click the “start exploring” button (it’s at the top right corner).
- You can choose to play as a guest or use your wallet for playing
- If you want to use the wallet (which means you can earn money and trade assets), you would need to connect your crypto wallet.
- Once you connect the wallet or choose to explore as a guest, you are in.
Guests don’t have as many privileges and options as full-time players do. However, the guest mode can help you figure out whether this metaverse platform is a good choice. If you have a wallet, you can purchase LAND and create ASSETS.
For Axie Infinity, SandBox, and other platforms, the process is mostly the same. The toughest part about it is creating a crypto wallet. If you’ve never worked with cryptocurrencies before, you have some research to do.
How to Create a Crypto Wallet
A crypto wallet is a program that allows you to store private and public keys for making cryptocurrency transactions. It allows you to send and receive cryptocurrencies, which is essential for living in the metaverse. These wallets are also good for storing NFTs.
Here are some concepts you need to know before creating a crypto wallet:
- Public key – a set of numbers that allows you to receive cryptocurrency transactions. It’s similar to your bank account number that you share with others to receive money.
- Private key – a string of letters and numbers that you use for signing and agreeing to cryptocurrency transactions. It’s similar to the CVV code on your card or a signature. You can’t share this number with anybody. Anyone with this number can access your wallet.
Different types of crypto wallets exist. If you are a beginner, you may want to start with a hosted wallet.
A hosted wallet is when a third party (host) keeps the cryptocurrency for you. Think about it as a bank holding your cash for you. If you have a hosted wallet, you don’t need to worry about losing your keys. If you forget the password, your crypto doesn’t disappear. You can simply recover it. However, hosted wallets come with limitations.
To set this wallet up, you need to choose the best platform for your needs, create an account, and buy crypto (usually with a bank account or credit card). You can also transfer crypto from another account.
Self-Custody Wallet for the Metaverse
To become a full member of the metaverse, you may want to create a self-custody wallet. With this wallet, you have full control of your cryptocurrency. If you lose the key, you lose all of your assets.
Setting up a self-custody wallet isn’t harder than creating a hosted wallet.
You download a wallet app (before doing this, find out which wallets your metaverse platform works with), create an account, write down the private key and buy or transfer crypto.
The top self-custody wallets to consider for the metaverse are:
Take the time to study their terms, fees, and integrations. Metamask has the simplest interface for beginners. Meanwhile, Math supports over 65 blockchain networks.
Other Ways to Join the Metaverse
To join the metaverse, you don’t necessarily need to become a player or explorer. You can invest in the metaverse.
- NFTs – buy non-fungible tokens to own metaverse art, sports teams, and other assets.
- Land – buy metaverse land to trade or sell it later.
- Crypto – if you are trading cryptocurrencies, you are already a part of the metaverse.
When you join the metaverse, always keep in mind that it’s highly volatile. All investments you make can suddenly disappear. Meanwhile, they have the potential of making you a fortune.
Joining the metaverse is easy. All you need is a crypto wallet and a registration on one of the metaverse platforms. It may take some time to find your way around the metaverse, especially if you plan to use it for something beyond entertainment.
Take the time to research your options. The metaverse can become a money-making tool for anyone who has enough time to dig deeper into its opportunities.