The Head of the social protection agency said computer hackers invaded Italy’s social security website and had it shut down on Wednesday just as people started applying for coronavirus benefits.
Pasquale Tridico told its INPS agency that 339,000 applications have been submitted for the EUR 600 ($655) so far.
“In the last few days we have suffered several hacker attacks that produced a major breakdown,” Tridico told state broadcaster RAI. “They continued today and we had to close the website.”
The constraints stopped much of the Italian business world and wreaked havoc on the livelihoods of many people.
Self-employed or seasonal workers may apply for the EUR 600 particular payment at INPS in the first response to the economic crisis.
Users who attempted to log into the INPS Website experienced serious interruptions earlier on Wednesday. Some said that other individuals ‘personal information was displayed on their screens to try to satisfy their demands.
He told the cyber-attack police that he raised questions about the safety of the digital infrastructure of Italy when battling the emergency coronavirus. Tridico told them. No data breach reported.
The ruling Democratic Party (PD) party said it would be the duty of national security agencies to identify those who are behind the hacks. The PD deputy leaders, Andrea Orlando, said, “These jackals have to be stopped immediately.” (Angelo Amante research, Crispian Balmer and Philippa Fletcher editing) ($1 = 0.9153 euros)