What exactly is HMU stand for?
We’ll show you how, where, and when to utilize the abbreviation HMU in this post.
There’s a lot of jargon on the internet. HMU is a term you may have come across. It’s everywhere: on social media, in chat rooms and texts, and even on dating apps. But what exactly does HMU stand for?
We explain what HMU is and give examples of how, where, and when to utilize it in this article.
What Does the Term HMU Stand For?
HMU is an acronym for “Hit Me Up.” It’s an open invitation for someone to contact you. It is frequently not capitalized, as is the fashion these days.
When saying “hit me up” to someone, the original meaning was to beg for something, usually money. “My brother called me because his business went bankrupt,” for example.
While it can still refer to that, the definition has been broadened to encourage interaction. As in, send me a message, contact me, or know where I am if you need me. If you see the acronym HMU on the internet, it’s most likely what people are referring to.
HMU stands for hold my unicorn, according to a joke popularized by Urban Dictionary in 2010, although this is not true. You could even say that user UnicornLover238 has a bias because that definition was submitted by them.
Where Can HMU Be Used?
- HMU is mostly used on social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook, as well as chat apps such as Snapchat and WhatsApp.
- While you may say “hit me up” out loud, the acronym hasn’t caught on yet, so use HMU solely online.
- HMU can be used in a number of different contexts. Here are some examples to go along with them:
- Suggestion for a meeting, either at a certain time or at a later date. As an example, “We should see that new film together! hmu when you get a chance.”
- You can make a request for something, such as recommendations or opinions. As an example, “I’m not sure where I should eat lunch. hmu with suggestions”
- Flirting is a technique that can be employed on dating apps like Tinder or Bumble to generate discussion or a date. “hmu if you like animals, travel, and gingerbread cookies,” for example.
- Giving your contact information, such as your phone number or email address. “Hmu on email@example.com if you like to chat,” for example.
When was HMU founded?
According to Facebook, in early 2009, the acronym HMU was unheard of. Only a few posts per day had it, and many of them were almost certainly errors.
By May of that year, the keyword had grown to 20 posts every day on average. Every month, it grew by a factor of two. In 2010, that growth accelerated dramatically, expanding at a monthly pace of 75%. HMU had 80000 daily mentions by the end of the summer.
Intriguingly, HMU was utilized uniformly throughout the summer, owing to the fact that teenagers had a lot of free time. When the youngsters returned to school, however, the term became more popular on weekends.
Google Trends also shows the development of HMU, which corresponds to what Facebook discovered. The linked searches for the phrase are all variations on “what does hmu mean,” which makes sense because, as previously said, people use HMU in chat rooms and on social media rather than as a conventional search term in Google.
More Slang Terms to Help You Get In Touch With Your Inner Hipster
HMU may have acquired popularity in 2010, but it is still a popular online slang term today. And now that you know what HMU stands for, you can confidently use this abbreviation.